"What does it say in the bylaws?"
"Does anyone have a copy of the by-laws?"
"I know I got one when I started on the board but . . . "
Here's a new idea: a Bylaws Cheat Sheet. Even if there is a copy of the by-laws handy, it's tedious to have to look over all the legalese when you want an answer to a simple question. So a nice 30 minute Do It Yourself (DIY) project is to create one:
- Legal Name of Nonprofit Corporation:
- Tax Exempt Determination year:
- Maximum and Minimum # of Board Members:
- How many years in a term?
- Are there term limits? If so, how many terms?
- What are the officer positions?
- What is the percentage or number for a quorum?
- How can the bylaws be changed?
And a Yes/No checklist:
Are board members indemnified?
Is there a procedure for removal of a board member?
See also in Blue Avocado: